13 Nov Rootsy Lentil Soup
As the autumn chill rolls in, it becomes a great time to make soups, unless you live in San Diego. It never fails…the weather starts to cool down…I make soup…and the next day it’s 80 degress. Doh!
When it does finally cool down into the low 60s (which is cold for us SoCal folks), this soup is one of my faves to make…mostly because it’s healthy and delicious, but there are tons of other reasons why you need to try it. Here are my top five:
- It’s super hearty. If you haven’t hopped on the lentil train yet, I suggest you do so. They are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, so they fill you up and make your body really happy.
- It’s a powerhouse of health and loaded with superfoods…maca root, turmeric, garlic, coconut oil…and of course all those veggies.
- It’s easy to make and easy to clean up after: a knife, cutting board and a pot…that’s not a lot of dishes.
- It gets better with time. I make a double-batch early in the week and it provides lunch for me and my roommate for days (though you might have to add a little more water when you reheat).
- Your house will smell amazing after you make it. Who needs unhealthy comfort foods when the healthy stuff smells this good?