01 Jun Hempseed Pesto
I had the fortunate experience of attending the Lightning in a Bottle festival over Memorial day weekend and it was extremely transformative, to say the least. It’s probably best known for the art and music, but they also had a learning kitchen that I just HAD to check out while I was there. I caught a presentation called “Hemp Hemp Hooray” that showcased a bunch of recipes featuring hemp seeds…and we got to try them! It was a pretty stellar day.
One of the recipes the presenter made was a pesto made from hemp seeds instead of pine nuts. Why hemp seeds? Well they have an excellent balance of the omega fatty acids (great for inflammation, brain health and so much more), they are a great source of protein, calcium and iron and the crop grows easily so it’s good for the environment!
I can’t remember what she used exactly, but I think this is pretty close, and I made sure to add nutritional yeast for the cheesy flavor and a nutritional boost of B vitamins! This recipe was tasty enough for me to put on everything from eggs, to fish to rice and veggies throughout the week. It would be great on grilled meats or even bread too if you eat that sort of thing 🙂
- 1 cup basil leaves stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup hemp or olive oil
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each of salt & pepper more or less to your taste
- Add basil, garlic, oil, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and lemon juice to a high-powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why diets and counting calories aren’t working and how they may be damaging your metabolism
- The root causes that may be slowing down your metabolism and draining your energy
- The 5 steps to improve your metabolism