24 Feb Golden Monkey Milk
Golden Monkey Milk (Turmeric Paste)
To make the paste:
- 1/4 cup ground organic turmeric
- 1/4 cup ground organic cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground organic black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
To make a cup
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 TBSP turmeric paste
- Honey/Stevia/Monk fruit to sweeten as needed
- First you'll want to make the paste, which you can store for up to 2 weeks in your fridge. From there you will take it out as needed to make a cup.
- To make the paste, mix the turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper and water in a pot on medium heat, stirring with a whisk until it thickens into a paste. This will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Let the paste cool to a little warmer than room temperature. Mix in the coconut oil.
- Put the mixture into a glass jar (you don't want chemicals to leach into it from plastic).
- When ready to make a cup, mix 1 TBSP of the paste mixture and 1 cup of non dairy milk in a small saucepan on medium until it warms to your liking.
- Mix in honey, stevia or monk fruit to taste and enjoy!
I confess…lately I have an obsession. An obsession that I find myself consistently recommending to almost all of my clients, and that is an ancient Ayurvedic tonic I refer to as Golden Monkey Milk (or “Golden Milk” traditionally).
Besides being warm, soothing and very tasty, this elixir packs a big nutritional punch! Cinnamon is a digestive stimulant and also helps to regulate blood sugar; turmeric is one of the best anti-inflammatories and antioxidants (and digestive aids), and coconut oil promotes heart health, brain function and a healthy metabolism (I could go on for another page about the benefits of each, but hopefully this is enough to convince you. Read more about turmeric benefits).
Although you can drink this any time of day. I like the idea of having it about an hour before bed. As someone who has struggled with a good night’s rest for most of my life, this delicious drink keeps my blood sugar stable throughout the night, soothes me to sleep, and keeps me from the random 3am wakeup that normally plagues me.
You may be wondering where the monkey comes in? Well, my roommate and I often make this for each other and somehow she just always referred to it as “golden monkey milk”…I thought it was cute and it sounded magical…which is exactly what this is in my book.
Like this? Sign up for my FREE Guide on "How to get Protein from Plants"