03 Jul Crunchy chickpea salad
Crunchy Chickpea Salad Recipe
One of my favorite things about summer is having BBQs with friends…ok, let’s be real, in San Diego, you can probably do that any day of the year. But for the rest of you out there, it’s nice to cook outside when it’s hot and BBQs are such a great excuse to get together with the people in your life you love.
Besides the grilled food, no BBQ is complete without some side dishes…pasta salad, potato salad, etc. But that stuff can get sooo heavy! So I wanted to create an alternative to potato salad that has a similar flavor and still pairs well with everything else. So instead of potatoes, I used some chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and threw in a bunch of crunchy veggies…let’s replace those high carbs with some protein and fiber..woohoo!
This salad is so cool and refreshing, it’ll pair perfectly with burgers, bbq chicken, smoked meats…or veggie burgers if you’re like me. In addition to all of the veggies in it, I of course had to throw some extra nutrients and texture in there by adding some sunflower and hemp seeds which have a lot of nutrients that are beneficial for our hormones.
Even if you’re not at a BBQ, this is a great salad to make for a few days of lunches. The chickpeas, sunflower seeds and hemp seeds will all supply an adequate amount of protein as well as fiber and healthy fats, and the array of colors means you’re getting all kinds of different vitamins and minerals.
Crunchy Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 2 green onion stalks sliced (green part only)
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/2 bell pepper (any color) peeled and diced with seeds removed
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 3 tbsp avocado mayo vegan or regular
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- dash of hot sauce optional
- Chop the parsley, green onions, carrot, bell pepper and celery into tiny pieces (about the size of a pea). Add them to a medium to large size bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and sunflower seeds to a blender or food processor and chop them slightly. You don't want them pureed, just broken up a bit and starting to soften up. It's better to have bigger chunks than turn them into liquid. Add the mixture to the bowl and mix all ingredients together. You can also use a potato masher but you will have bigger chunks of seeds.
- Add the mayo, mustard, hemp seeds, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and hot sauce (optional) and mix until all veggies are coated with the seasoning.
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why diets and counting calories aren’t working and how they may be damaging your metabolism
- The root causes that may be slowing down your metabolism and draining your energy
- The 5 steps to improve your metabolism