07 Jul Two supplements to stop period cramps
Look, hormones are complicated.
When my clients come to me with painful periods, mood swings and fertility problems–besides getting them on some herbs–I work on blood sugar, liver health, digestion and stress levels.
…Because all of those things contribute to estrogen and progesterone levels.
Basically, your hormones are telling you that something else is out of whack.
So if you are dealing with estrogen dominance or painful periods, there isn’t a quick fix pill, it really is best to work on every area of your health as it’s all connected.
That being said, there are a few supplements that may help you relieve cramps. Watch the video and read on to find out more.
Magnesium for period cramps
Magnesium is necessary for over 300 metabolic processes in the body, including the relaxation of muscles and metabolizing of vitamin D (which acts like a hormone in the body). It used to be plentiful in our soil but because of farming practices, soil (and ultimately our food) has actually become quite deficient.
It’s also depleted with stress, caffeine, birth control and alcohol (if you just thought “check, check, check,” you aren’t alone), so most people are somewhat deficient.
If you’re going to get magnesium, make sure you get a respected brand and look at what type of magnesium is on the label.
- Magnesium Oxide is cheap but not very effective.
- Magnesium Citrate is good if you are constipated, but otherwise may cause loose stools.
- Magnesium Glycinate does not have that effect and is quite absorbable. I usually recommend this kind.
- Magnesium L-threonate is also quite absorbable and helps with cognitive function. This is the kind I take and also recommend.
CBD for period cramps
CBD is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatories I have seen in my practice. It also helps bring the body into homeostasis and helps with stress and anxiety – which ultimately helps with hormone health.
The type you take is extremely important as there are a lot of cheap and ineffective brands on the market now. You also want to make sure you get the right dosage.
If you’ve never taken CBD before and need to do more research, have questions or want a good brand, I have a whole CBD resource center here.
Want more information on hormone health? Download your free guide below!
EXCLUSIVE FREE WORKSHOP
Hormone + Metabolism Reboot
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The 3 crucial steps for a healthy metabolism and balanced hormones
- How to have consistent energy and feel in control of your weight
- Why a “broken metabolism” and “cursed hormones” are a myth and what’s actually going on
- Why diets don’t work, and what to do instead