10 Sep Honey Cinnamon Mate Latte
I was at a coffee shop the other day and ordered an iced Yerba Mate (one of my favorite healthy “tea” beverages, similar to green tea) and the girl at the counter transformed it into something magically delicious with a few simple ingredients. It went a little something like this:
Me: Can I get an iced yerba mate?
Her: Sure, do you want to add some honey to that?
Me: Hmmm, ok, that sounds awesome, thanks.
Her: Do you want a little cinnamon too?
Her: Yeah, I add it to mine all of the time, it’s really good
Me: Sure, I’ll try it
Me (5 minutes later): HOLY F, this is AMAZING!
So with that, I decided that I needed to step up my game at home. I started drinking yerba mate awhile ago because it was a great pick me up without the crash of coffee (also high in antioxidants and not acidic), but you can brew it in a coffee maker, so I could stick to my morning ritual. However, I never really thought to spruce it up like people do with all of the coffee creations. But why not?
So with a few extra ingredients, my mornings just got a little sweeter. Not to mention, cinnamon and honey have all kinds of health benefits and I’m a huge fan of boosting the nutritional value of anything I eat or drink…especially when it tastes this good. To finish it off, I added some vanilla almond milk to to give it some creamy goodness. So…it might not taste like tea anymore, but it’s a delicious and healthy way to start the morning!
(Note: They have yerba mate at most health food stores. I prefer loose leaf over bags. You can also order it here.)
If chocolate-mint flavor is more your thing…check out my Awaken organic tea blend – it’s made from yerba mate, cacao, peppermint, ashwaganda and nettles – mix it with a little stevia and non-dairy milk for a delicious morning treat that will give you a nice balanced energy. Visit the full tea shop here.
Honey Cinnamon Mate Latte
- 1 cup brewed yerba mate
- 2 tsp honey adjust for your sweetness level
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk I like Silk, it doesn't have carrageenan and won't separate
- ice optional
- Brew the yerba mate according to the package directions (in coffee maker , french press or teapot).
- Add the honey and cinnamon to the warm mate and mix well. I usually add everything to a big mason jar with the lid and shake it up.
- If you are drinking it warm, heat up the almond milk and then add the warm almond milk to avoid separation. If you are pouring it over ice, add the cold almond milk after you put it on ice.
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why diets and counting calories aren’t working and how they may be damaging your metabolism
- The root causes that may be slowing down your metabolism and draining your energy
- The 5 steps to improve your metabolism