01 Oct Healthy Bourbon BBQ Sauce
I know, I know…what kind of vegetarian makes their own barbecue sauce? I mean, if you’re not putting it on meat, can’t you just buy a bottle from the store?
NO WAY! Have you ever looked at all the crap that’s in bbq sauce? I’m a big fan of fresh, whole, organic ingredients and who needs all that processed sugar and preservatives etc? Even if you’re a meat-eater…this bbq sauce is pretty darn delicious and could stand up to any meat. I prefer to have it with some veggie patties or veggie meatballs… but to each their own.
Remember if you ever buy anything in a can (tomato paste, beans, etc), make sure that the can specifies that the lining doesn’t use BPA…which is a chemical in plastic that’s all sorts of bad for you and can leach onto your food. No bueno.
Healthy BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup bourbon Jack Daniels works
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar raw & unfiltered
- 6 oz can tomato paste organic, without BPA lining
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp white or black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- dash cayenne
- Add 1 tbsp coconut oil, garlic and onions to a small pot on medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the bourbon (carefully, don't start a fire) and simmer for another 5-7 minutes until the bourbon reduces quite a bit.
- Put that mixture in the blender with the apple cider vinegar and puree, add it back to the pot on low heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (including the other tbsp of coconut oil) and let simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Environmental tip: Save old glass jars from mustard, sun-dried tomatoes, etc and use them for your home-made dressing and sauces.
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why cutting carbs, fasting, and many popular diets like Keto don’t work for women, and how they may actually be damaging your metabolism and hormones.
- How to improve your metabolism, have more natural energy and get better sleep by getting to the root cause, instead of treating each symptom with a pill.
- How to feel in control of your body again, by creating sustainable changes that support your hormones.