10 Nov Curried Chickpea Salad
Curried Chickpea Salad
- 1 can chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 green onions sliced into thin circles
- 1 small apple finely diced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp veganaise
- 1 1/2 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 head romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Pulse chickpeas and sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor so that they are broken up and mashed a bit, but still chunky and not yet pureed.
- Add the chickpea mixture and the rest of ingredients (except lettuce) to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pull off the lettuce leaves and scoop the mixture onto the leaves to eat. You can also make a wrap by using a large tortilla and adding some chopped lettuce, or putting it on some bread for a sandwich.
One of my favorite tuna salads of all time is from this little cafe by the beach here in San Diego…it’s curried and super delish. I recently ran across a recipe for “fake tuna” salad using chickpeas and sunflower seeds so I decided to use that as a base, but add in some apples and curry flavor to recreate my fave.
This salad is SUPER simple and quick to make. I ate it on romaine leaves, but it would work in a wrap or on a sandwich as well. It doesn’t taste like tuna, but it has a similar consistency and you don’t have to worry about mercury (which is very high in tuna). Plus, chickpeas and sunflower seeds are full of protein, fiber and all sorts of nutrients, so they are a pretty good substitute.
If you like it spicy, add a little cayenne or sriracha, but be careful, a little cayenne goes a long way. You can also substitute greek yogurt for veganaise if you can tolerate dairy. It’s not quite like my favorite tuna salad but for as healthy as it is, it is pretty yummy and the texture of the chickpeas is a great balance to the crunch of the sunflower seeds and apples.
Are you ready to feel good in your body again?
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why diets and counting calories aren’t working and how they may be damaging your metabolism
- The root causes that may be slowing down your metabolism and draining your energy
- The 5 steps to improve your metabolism